Sunday, December 14, 2008

The first big obstacle

This weekend I finally got the interior completely gutted, and pulled back the carpet to reveal two pieces of shitty sheet metal pop riveted over the rear seat floor-pan, where the passengers put their feet. I instantly knew what that meant. There was rust, and the cheezy PO fixed it using the ostrich-head-in-the-sand method. If you can't see it, it isn't there. So tonight I drilled the rivets out and pulled the sheet-metal out.

This is one of the things I was afraid of. While the front floor pans will need a little (very little) work, the rears are in bad shape. My only problem is I don't know how bad-a shape they are. I know this will mean cutting and welding...whether it's beyond my grasp to do it is another question entirely.

And so for the record, here are my rusted-ass floor pans:

Passenger Side:



Driver's Side: